About Me

My photo
My name is Hillary, I'm 24 and have a beautiful daughter who was born June 25, 2010. She was adopted by an amazing family with whom I am now very close. Adoption is an incredible experience but can extremely suck sometimes. I feel called to share my story with other people not only to spread knowledge about adoption (especially open adoptions) but also to help support girls going through unplanned pregnancy/adoption.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Unexpected Stork

I think the most important thing in any unplanned pregnancy is support. For me, I would not have made it through the past year and every day for the rest of my life without the love and support of my family and friends. My parents were incredibly understanding and the whole situation actually healed a lot of hurt and brought us closer together. My brothers were their same loving selves and gave me a sense of normalcy I so desperately needed. My friends stood by me and held my hand as I walked through the world feeling judged by other but protected by them. Even though people still judge me for having a child when I'm only 18, I know the people who love me regardless are the ones I really want in my life.

It is heart-breaking to me to know that most girls were not as blessed as me. I personally know some who's parents wanted them to have an abortion, kicked them out of the house, and even disowned them for an undoubtedly stupid mistake. Even though the mistake was made, I have unspeakable respect for those with enough strength to see the consequences through and bring a beautiful new life into the world, whether they parent or not. For someone to do all that without the love and support I had seems unbearable to me. No girl deserves to go through that alone. That's why I want to start a support group to let girls know they are not alone in this endeavor.  Even though I'm not sure exactly what that will look like or even if anything will come of it, this is my calling. To love on all those girls who have been hurt and abandoned, but still have enough strength of character to carry that little person for 9 months; to give up their bodies, their hearts, and so much more. That is the true sacrifice of a mother.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=136044673086067

1 comment: